21 July 2015

Data Security: Cryptsetup

Data Security: Cryptsetup

Data Security: Cryptsetup

Cryptsetup

according to the MAN page:
cryptsetup - manage plain dm-crypt and LUKS encrypted volumes

..cryptsetup is used to conveniently setup dm-crypt managed device-mapper mappings. These include plain dm-crypt volumes and LUKS volumes. The difference is that LUKS uses a metadata header and can hence offer more features than plain dm-crypt...




• Installing Cryptsetup:
sudo apt install cryptsetup


***SETUP***

• Creating a container:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=~/my_encrypted_drive.dd bs=1M count=256

• Format it:
sudo cryptsetup luksFormat ~/my_encrypted_drive.dd

• Opening it:
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen ~/my_encrypted_drive.dd my_drive
my_drive will appear in /dev/mapper/.

• Create a filesystem within it:
mkfs -t ext4 /dev/mapper/my_drive

• Mount the container:
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/my_drive ~/mnt/


***Consequence run***

sudo cryptsetup luksOpen ~/my_encrypted_drive.dd my_drive
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/my_drive~/mnt/


• Unmounting:
sudo umount ~/mnt/
sudo cryptsetup luksClose my_drive


• Changing Password/Passphrase:
sudo cryptsetup luksChangeKey my_encrypted_drive.dd

• for more usage and help:
cryptsetup --help
man cryptsetup

Read more at Cryptsetup Homepage and Wikipedia .


note:
device => my_encrypted_drive.dd


Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment